For a little bit of context, Regan is starting a degree in socio-anthropology in the autumn so for her at least this is not that peculiar a topic - it's simply her area of interest.
We were talking about all the different nationalities and languages we encounter, travelling by public transport everyday. Curiosity struck and I decided I might as well share some of the facts we learned.
Contrary to seemingly-popular belief, the largest ethnic group in London is 'White' with 59.79% of respondents in 2011 census. Over half the population of London identify as white. And the majority of these (44.89%) are 'White-British'.
Asian/Asian-British come in at 18.49%, Black/Black-British at 13.32%, 'Mixed' at 4.96% and 'Other' (including Arab) at 3.44%
Clearly, London is being over-run with foreigners, just like shock media would want you to believe...
The census also recorded that 36.7% of Londoners are foreign born - with 24.5% being born in a non-European country. London has the second highest immigrant population in the world.
Although, that's still only marginally over 1/3 being foreign born.
We then looked into languages.
77.9% of the population spoke English as a main language, with a further 19.8% speaking it as a second language or well to very well. That's a total of 97.7% for those playing along at home. Yes, we're being so taken over by foreigners that don't speak English that... oh.. only 2.3% of Londoners don't have English as first or second languages.
In fact, only 0.6% of those surveyed didn't speak English at all. Not quite 2500 people out of a population of over 8 million.
The main languages, other than English, spoken here are Polish, Bengali, Guajarati, French, Urdu, Portuguese, Turkish and Spanish. Arabic is the 10th most common language with a grand total of 0.9% of the population.
The last thing we looked at was religion. And, like me, 48% of Londoners identify as Christian. The second most stated was 'no religion' at 20.73, with Muslim coming in third at 12.39%.
The remaining 18.88% was made up of 'not stated', Hindu, Jewish, Sikh, Buddhist and, like Jade Rachel, 'other'.
I found all this absolutely fascinating to learn about to be honest with you. I love the diversity of the population of this city and was actually quite surprised by a lot of those figures. It just goes to show you the difference between the truth and what popular media wants you to believe.